A small town in southwest Oregon is in shock and a 27-year-old woman is facing criminal charges after a 14-year-old girl died after huffing helium during a booze- and pot-fueled bash over the weekend.
Ashley Long, an eighth-grader from Eagle Point, told her parents she was headed to a sleepover last Saturday, but instead went to a party hosted by a friend's big sister, where she downed mixed drinks before taking hits from an 8-gallon helium canister, The Associated Press reported.
Long's stepfather, Justin Earp, said his daughter was pressured into inhaling the gas — often perceived as a harmless party gag.
"My daughter didn't want to do it," Earp told the AP. "They put a mask up to her face. They said it would be OK. 'It's not going to hurt you. It'll just make you laugh and talk funny.' "